- Science Studies (along with History, Communications, and Sociology), and
- Cognitive Science (along with Cognitive Science).
The faculty engage in research throughout a broad range of traditional and interdisciplinary topics, with special strengths in
- moral and political philosophy (metaethics, political philosophy, philosophy of law)
- history of philosophy (ancient, early modern, Kant)
- philosophy of mind and language (perception, cognitive science) and
- philosophy of science (physics, biology, ecology).
We take seriously our obligation to help produce the next generation of researchers and teachers in philosophy. Prospective students are encouraged to look over the information on faculty research and publications included under areas of study.
UC San Diego is a nationally acclaimed research university spread out over 1,200 of the most scenic acres in America, much of it on bluffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. UC San Diego ranks as among the top 20 best universities in the world (U.S. News & World Report, Center for World-Class University at Shanghai Jiao Tong). Graduate programs at UC San Diego continue to rank highly as noted in the 2015 “America’s Best Graduate Schools” guidebook. UC San Diego boasts an extraordinary array of Nobel laureates, MacArthur Fellows, and national academy members.
Graduate Class Size
In any given year, there are usually between 35 to 45 philosophy graduate students in residence, almost all of whom are full-time students.