Since its founding in 1963, the UCSD Philosophy Department has grown to become a nationally ranked department, offering excellent instruction and supervision at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Faculty have a broad range of research interests, with special concentrations in the philosophy of science, ethics and political philosophy, history of philosophy, and epistemology and metaphysics.
The department is strongly committed to interdisciplinary work in philosophy, which graduate students can pursue through joint doctoral studies in the Science Studies Program and in the Department of Cognitive Science. The department has close ties to many other departments and programs on campus including History, Classical Studies, Psychology, Political Science, and the Division of Biological Sciences. Graduates of our Ph.D. program have been successfully placed in top departments across the country and abroad.
Philosophy faculty have demonstrated their skill and dedication as teachers by winning many university-wide teaching awards. Among our current faculty are a MacArthur Fellow and recipients of numerous competitive research fellowships.
2014 New Faculty The department is thrilled to announce the appointments of two new faculty:
- Lucy Allais appointed inaugural Henry E. Allison Endowed Chair in the History of Philosophy
Professor Allais is a distinguished scholar in the history of philosophy as well as applied ethics. She joins us from the University of Witwatersrand, South Africa, in March 2015.
- Kerry McKenzie is an expert in metaphysics and philosophy of science and joins us from the University of Western Ontario in Fall 2014.
- Carl Sachs accepts a tenure track position at Marymount University in Arlington, VA
- Eric Campbell accepts a tenure track position at University of Maryland, Baltimore County
- Gil Hersch has been offered a 1-year, 1-year renewable teaching fellowship at Illinois Institute of Technology
- Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam has just accepted a job in Philosophy and Education at CSUN (Cal State Northridge)
- Jonathan Cohen & Matthew Fulkerson publish an entry on the Suffering Blog
- Monte Johnson spoke at the Arts & Humanities Degrees of Freedom Lecture
- UC San Diego Philosophers Work to Fix Discipline’s Gender Disparities
- The University of California, San Diego is one of only five top public universities in the U.S. to make the top 20 list in a new ranking of the world’s top 500 colleges.
- Please join me in congratulating Ryan Stringer, who won 3rd place in the second annual E. Maynard Adams essay contest sponsored by the Taylor Charitable Trust.
- Jonathan Cohen does Philosophy talk on Color with a livechat
- The American Association of University Women (AAUW) awards 2014-15 AmericanFellowship to Amy Berg
- Washington Monthly ranks UC San Diego best university for 5th consecutive year
- UC San Diego Philosophy PhD graduate Carl Sachs finishes first book, Intentionality and the Myths of the Given: Between Pragmatism and Phenomenology
- Former department staff member Gail Vigliotti remembered
- Pioneering neurophilosopher Patricia Churchland is "used to touching a nerve" and also speaks on neurophilosophy on UCTV”
- Kerry McKenzie appointed Assistant Professor in philosophy of science
- Craig Callender interviewed in "Subject Matters", a public Q&A following the April 5, 2014 showing of Time and the Conways, Old Globe Theater (San Diego)
- Patricia Churchland appears on The Colbert Report
- Nancy Cartwright honored at St. Andrews as one of the ‘best minds of our generation'
- Philosophy Club Debate on Eugenics
March 6, 2015 @ 4:00 p.m.
- Psychiatry Research Seminar Series
- Undergraduate Philosophy Club
- UCSD Philosophy hosted inaugural Summer Program for Women in Philosophy held at UCSD July 28-August 8, 2014
- Richard Johnson awarded the 2014 Eric Paul Allison Memorial Fellowship
- Read about Ethics in the Public Sphere series: interview with Professor Donald Rutherford
- Department's Colloquium Series
Credits: graphics - Amanda Brovold; photography - Jonathan Cohen