Since its founding in 1963, the UCSD Philosophy Department has grown to become a nationally ranked department, offering excellent instruction and supervision at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Faculty have a broad range of research interests, with special concentrations in the philosophy of science, ethics and political philosophy, history of philosophy, and epistemology and metaphysics.
The department is strongly committed to interdisciplinary work in philosophy, which graduate students can pursue through joint doctoral studies in the Science Studies Program and in the Department of Cognitive Science. The department has close ties to many other departments and programs on campus including History, Classical Studies, Psychology, Political Science, and the Division of Biological Sciences. Graduates of our Ph.D. program have been successfully placed in top departments across the country and abroad.
Philosophy faculty have demonstrated their skill and dedication as teachers by winning many university-wide teaching awards. Among our current faculty are a MacArthur Fellow and recipients of numerous competitive research fellowships.
OPEN TENURE and TENURE-TRACK POSITIONS
1. Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Philosophy. AOS OPEN except for moral philosophy, history of philosophy and philosophy of science.
2. Tenure Assoc to Full Professor in Moral Psychology.
3. Joint Appointment with SOM: Assistant, Associate or Full Professor in Bioethics and Biomedical Policy.
- UC San Diego ranked 14th best university in world
- Philosophy Professor Craig Callender was recently featured on the Science Channel's "Through the Wormhole" with Morgan Freeman: "Can Time Go Backwards?" and interviewed in San Diego Magazine
- Monte Johnson gives a talk on UCSD TV
- Professor Bazargan's paper "Moral Coercion" listed in top 10 of 2014 by Leiter Reports
- Alexander Campbell was selected as the recipient of the 2015 Eric Paul Allison Memorial Prize Fellowship
- Dan Burnston wins the Chancellor's Dissertation Medal
- Per Milam accepts a two year post-doctorl fellowship at the University of Gothenberg.
- Michael G. Tiboris named "Global Cities" Fellow
- Craig Callender to be a featured speaker for UC San Diego & You: Los Angeles
- More Families Hope Man On Life Support For 15 Years Is Their Lost Loved One
- What do Patricia Churchland and Benjamin Franklin have in common? They’re both members of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- Dan Burnston has accepted an Assistant Professorship in Philosophy at Tulane University
- Carl Sachs accepts a tenure track position at Marymount University in Arlington, VA
- Eric Campbell accepts a tenure track position at University of Maryland, Baltimore County
- Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam has just accepted a job in Philosophy and Education at CSUN (Cal State Northridge)
- Jonathan Cohen & Matthew Fulkerson publish an entry on the Suffering Blog
- Monte Johnson spoke at the Arts & Humanities Degrees of Freedom Lecture
- UC San Diego Philosophers Work to Fix Discipline’s Gender Disparities
- The University of California, San Diego is one of only five top public universities in the U.S. to make the top 20 list in a new ranking of the world’s top 500 colleges.
- Jonathan Cohen does Philosophy talk on Color with a livechat
- The American Association of University Women (AAUW) awards 2014-15 AmericanFellowship to Amy Berg
- Pioneering neurophilosopher Patricia Churchland is "used to touching a nerve" and also speaks on neurophilosophy on UCTV
Credits: graphics - Amanda Brovold; photography - Jonathan Cohen